Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
Reports To: President
- Provide leadership and vision to the organization by being a part of the executive team to ensure the development of long term and annual goals through strategic planning with evaluation and reporting of progression plans.
- Bridge the gap in the Company by following up with Project Managers, Superintendents, and foreman to ensure issues are being addressed as well as resolved.
- Proficient in reading and understanding job financials.
- Proficient in project scheduling.
- Keeps Vice President and President informed on the progress of all projects underway, problems on any ongoing projects, status of relationships with clients, contractors, and architects.
- Works with the Vice President of Sales & Marketing on the viability of projects being tracked, status of market situations, including number and viability of upcoming projects and any other factors that will influence The Samuels Group, Inc.
- Reviews with the Controller operational and capital budgets for TSG Holding. Identify equipment requirements that will affect cash flow.
- Work with the project team to develop a solid understanding of the project strategy and the commitments made to the Owner.
- Sets the standards of excellence for The Samuels Group in matters of customer service, dealings with clients, design professionals, trade contractors and The Samuels Group employees.
- Works with President to set the goals of The Samuels Group, to be part of The Samuels Group, Inc.'s business plan and see that the goals are met. Report to the President and Department Supervisors on the status and progress toward meeting those goals.
- Assists in marketing The Samuels Group to all viable clients.
- Anticipates project material needs and assist Superintendent/Site Project Manager with on-site purchasing when needed.
- Arranges and coordinates the work assignments of the Superintendent.
- Monitors the safety process on all projects.
- Assures that adequate, properly trained personnel are available to carry out the required functions on all projects and prospective projects.
- Assures that every client we serve and every architect we work with has nothing but the highest recommendation for The Samuels Group.
- Keeps the President informed of all phases of The Samuels Group operations and with him, jointly define target markets, establish project size and type and set The Samuels Group goals.
- Lead Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents and other field staff and deploy the project strategy; communicate expectations and direction regarding schedules, construction methods, policies and standards.
- Make regularly scheduled visits to assigned jobsites and perform thorough walkthroughs; monitor construction progress and quality control and ensure compliance to The Samuels Group and OSHA safety standards.
- Supervise hiring, job assignment and professional development for all field personnel.
- Facilitate regular Superintendent Meetings to provide a forum for discussion of concerns and distribution of information.
- Assist in planning and executing field activities and provide technical assistance as required.
- Manages the movement of personnel between projects. Communicate to the Human Resources Department special skill needs and availability of personnel.
- Performs periodic expectation reviews for all members of The Samuels Group field staff and document on the proper forms with copies to Human Resources
- Work closely with Human Resource Manager to guide and direct professional growth of field and field-related training programs.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts presentations to Owners, Architects and large groups.
- Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Reports directly to the President while working closely with Vice President. Close relationship with the project Superintendent with whom leadership for the project team is shared. Close working relationships required with the office support, clients, trade contractors, prime contractors, architects, business development and marketing personnel. Oversees all Superintendents and the Director of Safety.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The attributes listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability appropriate for the level of work performed.
- Degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Business Administration, Engineering or equivalent training with at least 10 years of progressive responsibilities in the areas of field and office supervision.
- 5 Years management experience with strong leadership skills and proven ability to manage/train assigned staff and lead multiple teams at once.
- Ability to read, comprehend and recognize safety standards and issues.
- Ability to recognize and achieve high quality construction standards.
- Travel throughout Wisconsin and surrounding states with occasional overnight stays.
- Must be able to negotiate with Architects, Owners and Trade Contractors, listen to and have verbal and written dialog.
- Value Engineering and life cycle costing.
- Accounting background and legal background.
- Read and comprehend building plans and specifications.
- Highly developed organizational and planning skills, time management and written/oral communication skills.
- Goal-driven leader who maintains a productive climate and confidently motivates, mobilizes, and coaches employees to meet high performance standards.
- Highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to ever-changing situations.
- Exhibit strong business judgment, skills and maturity and the ability to work effectively with others even under stressful deadlines situations.
- Must be able to ask questions, listen to, receive and give verbal and written instructions and directions in a professional manner.
- Results-driven achiever with ability to attain goals and complete tasks.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Results oriented and proactive team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office a must.
- Proficient in assembling project schedules.
- Strong understanding of job financial reporting.
In a typical 8-hour workday, employee will usually; sit at least six hours, stand at least one hour and walk at least one hour. Employee's job requires occasionally to; bend/stoop, squat/crawl, climb 30-60 ft., reach above shoulder, crouch/kneel, balance, push/pull, lift/carry up to 50 pounds, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, exposure to dust, fumes, gases, and noise sometimes over 85 DBA and Working on open high locations. Employee's job frequently requires; using hands for repetitive action such as simple grasping and manipulating and being around moving machinery. Work hours are generally during normal business hours. However, unscheduled evening and weekend work may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Out-of-town and overnight business travel may be required.
This position description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the individual assigned to this position and should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It does not state or imply these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties. All requirements are subject to change and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.