Business Development Managers drive company growth and market share by maintaining and growing existing client relationships and cultivating new relationships. Business Development Managers serve as the primary contact for the client during the sales process and works with the other furniture support functions (design, project management, furniture installers, etc.) to facilitate planning, communication, and collaborative execution on each project to ensure client satisfaction is achieved. Market focus includes clients in Corporate Environments, Higher Education, State and Local Government, A&D, and Healthcare.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Prospects, contacts, and meets potential clients - build positive relationships within assigned territory to build sales pipeline to accomplish the sales goals for the company.
- Develop local business relationships with various influencers (A/D community, commercial real estate brokers, moving companies, etc.) to identify potential opportunities.
- Manage relationships with existing clients to retain and grow sales opportunities.
- Develop extensive product knowledge through ongoing research, development, and training.
- Lead the development of creative and innovative solutions to meet client needs in a consultive manner. Collaborate with Interior Designers to provide solutions that meet client functional, aesthetic, and budgetary requirements.
- Lead the project strategy process. Involve stakeholders in the development of a winning proposal to capture targeted accounts and/or opportunities within assigned territory.
- Collaborate with furniture manufacturer representatives on sales opportunities and strategies to increase project win potential.
- Work with Environments parent company, The Samuels Group, to provide cross-selling opportunities.
- Supports policies and procedures for marketing and business development.
- Acts as an active ambassador both inside and outside the company.
- Leads research and provides key information for RFPs and presentations, provides comprehensive understanding of customer needs to internal project team.
- Utilize CRM as primary lead and project input and tracking tool.
- Understand various purchasing contracts used by public entities as it relates to pricing.
- Capable of measuring and gathering necessary data for projects.
- Manages and maintains contact with past, present and future clients.
- Communicates internally with top-level executives, managers, marketing staff, and others; externally with clients, general businesses, community, and other groups.
- Strives to maintain Environments/The Samuels Group’s safety commitment by following the safety protocols and procedures in and outside of the office.
- Overall success of regional business development objectives.
- Carries out marketing and business development plans for respective region.
- Manages projects trough completion to ensure profit goals are attained.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts presentations to Owners, Architects, and large groups.
- Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Reports directly to the Vice President of Environments. Has a close working relationship with Commercial Furniture Interior Designers, Project Managers, Lead Installers, and other Business Development Managers. Involves no supervisory functions, but requires the ability to work and coordinate with others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The attributes listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability appropriate for the level of work performed.
- Undergraduate degree in Business or Marketing or related field with at least 5 years sales experience, preferably in commercial furniture industry or equivalent education/experience.
- Interior Design background beneficial.
- Must be a results-driven problem solver.
- Ability to work in an unstructured environment, developing and managing own schedule.
- Must possess a comprehensive sales and marketing background.
- Understand strategic account management.
- Must have the ability to sell.
- Must have ability to learn the language of commercial furniture, design and construction industries.
- Possess high level of skill with speaking and dealing positively with C-Suite level prospects.
- Presentation skills required.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail.
- Capability to communicate in a professional, courteous, diplomatic manner with all levels of management, external clients and potential clients is critical.
- Must be able to ask questions, listen to, receive and give verbal and written instructions and directions in a professional manner.
- Results-driven achiever with ability to attain goals and complete tasks.
- Flexible team player who thrives in environments requiring ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple concurrent projects.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Results oriented and proactive team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Basic understanding of industry practices, processes, and standards is helpful.
- Exhibit exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office a must. Demonstrated experience with CRM (Deltek Vision).
In a typical 8 hour work day, employee will usually; sit at least six hours, stand at least one hour and walk at least one hour. Employee's job requires occasionally to; bend/stoop, squat/crawl, climb 30-60 ft., reach above shoulder, crouch/kneel, balance, push/pull, lift/carry up to 50 pounds, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, exposure to dust, fumes, gases and noise sometimes over 85 DBA and Working on open high locations. Employee's job frequently requires; using hands for repetitive action such as simple grasping and manipulating and being around moving machinery. Work hours are generally during normal business hours. However, unscheduled evening and weekend work may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Out-of-town and overnight business travel is frequently required.