Regional Manager of Construction Operations 10-15-19
- West Des Moines, IA
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Monitor costs & profitability of construction projects and recommend corrective action to prevent profit margin dilution.
- Reviews all bids and proposals to ensure the construction approach is realistic, submitted material is appropriate, and profit margins conform to company goals.
- Direct initiatives coordinated with the Business Operations Manager to create operating procedures for processes within the organization as it relates to projects.
- Implement, manage and evaluate operation processes and procedures, in accordance with the standards and procedures set out by the organization for projects while considering all functions and divisions.
- Identifying elements of construction likely to give rise to risks and claims through project teams.
- Facilitates meetings for the purpose of identifying issues, developing recommendations and supporting other staff.
- Analyze, forecast, and report to senior leadership on project status, project revenue, and project driven profit.
- Assist the team in contract review negotiation at subcontractor level.
- Routinely preforms project reviews for assigned staff.
- Works closely with the General Superintendent and VP of Operations to arrange and coordinate the work assignments of project teams.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Ensures that company safety goals are achieved and that all work environments emphasize care and consistency.
- Coordinates and directs project and estimating teams during preconstruction and pre bid process to ensure budget establishment.
- Provide daily oversight and guidance to Project Managers and Superintendents to ensure schedules and budgets are being maintained.
- Ensure that new employees are properly oriented to the company and trained for their positions with in.
- Direct, mentor and lead project teams responsible for successful completion of multiple projects.
- Develop and lead through mentorships and provide the right responsibilities and work assignments to cultivate growth.
- Proactively identify performance issues with team members and work with HR to develop appropriate action plan or training/coaching plan to bring performance up to acceptable standards.
- Performs personnel functions of assigned staff (e.g. interviewing, evaluating, supervising, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives within budget.
- Effectively communicate / interact with all other leaders in a manner that fosters teamwork and unity, which ultimately benefits the client.
- Presents information for the purpose of communicating information, gaining feedback and ensuring adherence to established internal controls.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts presentations to Owners, Architects and large groups.
- Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Reports directly to the Vice President of Operations. Has a close working relationship with Project Managers, Project Administrators, Superintendents, Estimators, and Business Development Manager. Outside of the organization, has working relationships with client owners, contractors, and subcontractors. Manages, directs and mentors assigned staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The attributes listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability appropriate for the level of work performed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Business Administration, Engineering or equivalent training. A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in commercial construction management and office supervision required.
- Capability to read, comprehend and recognize safety standards and issues.
- Must be able to recognize and achieve high quality construction standards.
- Ability to lead others and delegate.
- Must be able to negotiate with architects, owners and trade contractors,
- An understanding of value engineering and life cycle costing.
- Exposure to accounting methods and legal contracts.
- Ability to read and comprehend building plans and specifications.
- Ability to lead and control meetings.
- Ability to travel.
- Highly developed organizational and planning skills, time management and written/oral communication skills.
- Goal-driven leader who maintains a productive climate and confidently motivates, mobilizes, and coaches employees to meet high performance standards.
- Highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to ever-changing situations.
- Exhibit strong business judgment, skills and maturity and the ability to work effectively with others even under stressful deadline situations.
- Must be able to ask questions, listen to, receive and give verbal and written instructions and directions in a professional manner.
- Results-driven achiever with ability to attain goals and complete tasks.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Results oriented and proactive team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and demonstrated experience with Expedition, Timberline, ACT, Sure-Trak Scheduling highly desirable.
In a typical 8-hour work day, employee will usually sit at least six hours, stand at least one hour and walk at least one hour. Employee's job requires working indoors the majority of time and working outdoors occasionally. Employee will most often work at a desk and spend time in a vehicle when working outside of the office. Employee is rarely exposed to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, vibrations, moving machinery, or chemicals. Employee is rarely required to bend, stoop, squat, crawl, climb, twist/turn, push, pull, or carry. Employee’s job requires frequent use of hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive motion in keyboarding. Work hours are generally during normal business office hours. However, unscheduled evening and weekend work may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Out-of-town and overnight business travel may be required.
This position description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the individual assigned to this position and should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It does not state or imply these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties. All requirements are subject to change and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of The Samuels Group, Inc. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.