- Wausau or Des Moines, WI or IA
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Provide leadership and vision to the organization by being a part of the executive team to ensure the development of long term and annual goals through strategic planning with evaluation and reporting of progression plans.
- Participate in the determination of internal and/or external design team selections.
- Participate in the marketing efforts by assisting in the creation of marketing materials, participating in project interviews, following up on project leads and maintaining strong relationships with clientele.
- Develop and manage department budget.
- Understand and support the goals of the client/owner relative to a project’s; definition, location, schedule and budget.
- Maintain strong relationships with past and exiting clientele, as well as, foster new relationships.
Observe and report safety hazards at the jobsite to the project Superintendent.
- Primary point of contact for the Design team relative to; owners, authorities having jurisdiction and consultants.
- Act as the Supervising Professional signatory for all internally designed projects.
- Assist owners with the verification and/or development of project programming.
- Assist owners with the selection of project locations and/or sites.
- Direct the development of project programming.
- Direct the development of project schematic designs.
- Provide continual design direction and oversight for all internally designed projects.
- Direct and manage the mentorship, coaching and training of design staff.
- Direct the development and maintenance of internal design processes and procedures.
- Pursue and maintain strong working relationships with a variety external design consultants in order to support the diversity in our project types and locations.
- Direct and manage the advertisement for and the selection of design consultants.
- Act as signatory on contracts with design consultants.
- Identify, mentor, challenge and grow staff to create a high level of creativity, proficiency, self-dependency, company responsibility and enthusiasm.
- Work closely with Human Resource Manager to guide and direct professional growth of staff.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Reports directly to the President. Close relationships with clientele, business development, project managers, estimating, office support, consultants and marketing personnel. Manages and directs Design team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The attributes listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability appropriate for the level of work performed.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture with a minimum of 15 years’ experience, which includes at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to understand and edit legal contracts.
- Goal-driven leader who maintains a productive climate and confidently motivates, mobilizes, and coaches employees to meet high performance standards.
- Highly collaborative leadership style with the ability to respond quickly and effectively to ever-changing situations.
- Must be able to ask questions, listen to, receive and give verbal and written instructions and directions in a professional manner.
- Results-driven achiever with ability to attain goals and complete tasks.
- Innovative problem-solver who can generate workable solutions.
- Results oriented and proactive team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Must be a licensed Architect in Wisconsin and have the ability to become licensed in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Michigan.
- NCARB Certified.
- Proven design skills, proficient at all aspects and phases of design.
- Ability to travel.
- Highly developed organizational and planning skills, time management and written/oral communication skills.
- Exhibit strong business judgment, skills and maturity and the ability to work effectively with others even under stressful deadlines situations.
- Proficiency in Revit and Microsoft Office Products.
In a typical 8 hour work day, employee will usually; sit at least seven hours, and stand and walk up to one hour. Employee's job requires occasionally to; bend/stoop, squat/crawl, climb 30-60 ft., reach above shoulder, crouch/kneel, balance, push/pull, lift/carry up to 50 pounds, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, exposure to dust, fumes, gases and noise sometimes over 85 DBA and Working on open high locations. Employee's job frequently requires; using hands for repetitive action such as simple grasping and manipulating and being around moving machinery. Work hours are generally during normal business hours. However, unscheduled evening and weekend work may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization. Out-of-town and overnight business travel may be required. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment and works under immediate supervision.